2024 NYSCamp Announcement
2024 NYSCamp Overview
The 2024 National Youth Science Camp (NYSCamp) aims to be fully in person again, from June 29 to July 20, 2024.
The deadline to submit the application is 11:59 PM ET/8:59 PT on February 29, 2024.
To apply to the National Youth Science Camp (NYSCamp), please complete an application and direct any questions to your State Selection Coordinator. International applicants, please apply by contacting your State Department Contact, this may include using the online application linked above.
Delegates will be expected to commit to attending camp and fill out delegate paperwork by April 15, 2024, or within 2 weeks of being notified that they have been selected to attend, otherwise, their spot may be given to an alternate from their state or another state.
Eligibility Requirements for U.S. Applicants
- Graduates from high school between 1 July 2023 and 30 June 2025.
- Documented superior academic proficiency, including recognition in STEAM.
- Recognition for notable achievements in STEAM program areas.
- Skills and achievements outside of STEAM and academia.
- Must demonstrate a curiosity and an eagerness to explore new topics.
- Must intend to pursue higher education and a career in a STEAM-related field.
- Must be willing and able to participate daily for the entire duration of the NYSCamp program.
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with at least one booster. Official documentation of vaccination status will be required to be submitted if selected to attend the NYSCamp.
International applicants, please check your eligibility to apply and find application instructions for eligible countries by visiting our U.S. State Department Contact page.
Application Instructions for U.S. Applicants
Florida, Georgia, and Massachusetts select delegates through their state science fairs. If you are from one of these states, please contact your state’s selection coordinator for additional information. Delegates from the remaining 47 states and Washington D.C. please follow the instructions below to prepare and submit your application for the 2024 NYSCamp.
The NYSCamp application must be submitted all at once; please have the following information ready before you begin filling out the application:
1. Your name and contact information
2. The name(s) and contact information of your guardian(s)
3. The name, address, and phone number of your high school
4. A letter of interest in PDF form (approximately 500 – 1000 words), which includes:
- Why you want to attend the NYSCamp
- What you believe qualifies you to represent your state at the NYSCamp
- How you think attending the NYSCamp will benefit you
- Your thoughts on the social impacts of science
- Anything else you feel would benefit your application
5. A PDF copy of your most recent resume, which includes:
- Your work and volunteer experience
- Your leadership experience
- Your awards and honors
- Your extracurricular activities
6. A PDF copy of your most recent high school transcript
7. Separately list the following:
- Your current cumulative high school GPA (weighted and unweighted if applicable)
- The STEAM, Honors, and AP Classes you have taken or are enrolled in
8. The name and email address of someone you have already asked to write you a letter of recommendation
Please note: Once you submit your application, the system will automatically email the individual listed as the recommender requesting they upload the letter of recommendation to your application. We encourage you to submit your application with enough time for your recommender to be able to add the letter before the February 29 deadline.
Please submit your application here when you have prepared all the necessary application materials.
Eligibility Requirements and Application Instructions for International Applicants
In recent years the Office of Cultural and Educational Affairs at the United States Department of State has sponsored delegates from select nations in the Americas. The State Department selects these nations, and the selection coordinators choose delegates at the U.S. Embassy in each nation. Thus, each country processes applications differently. Please visit the National Youth Science Camp Application (International Applicants) page to learn more information. Reach out to your State Department contact with any questions.
International delegates for the 2024 National Youth Science Camp will be from: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Mexico, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago. Applicants must:
- If you are a resident of one of the countries selected to send delegates (noted above), then you must be 16, 17 or 18 years of age on July 1, 2024, have strong skills in spoken English, and be eligible for a J-1 Visa to enter the United States. Do not apply for a J1 Visa at this time; if selected, the U.S. Embassy in your country will provide assistance.
- You must have documented superior academic proficiency, including recognition in mathematics or the sciences.
- You must have documented leadership abilities and social maturity through involvement in school or community activities.
- You must have documented skills and achievements outside the realm of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics and outside the realm of academia.
- You must demonstrate a curiosity and an eagerness to explore many and varied topics.
- You must intend to pursue higher education and a career in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics related field.
- You must be willing and able to participate in the entire NYSCamp program.
- Proficiency in English is necessary, as the program is conducted in English. Proof of English proficiency is required to apply to the National Youth Science Camp. In the application form, please attach a copy of your TOEFL, IELTS, CAE, or CPE (or equivalent) test scores here; for more details or questions about English proficiency, please reach out to the selection coordinator via email with specific questions, as the measurement methodology may vary between countries.
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with at least one booster before attending the in person portion of camp. Official documentation of vaccination status will be required to be submitted if selected to attend the NYSCamp.
Delegates are selected by representatives appointed by the Governor of their state or by the U.S. Embassy in their nation.
Most U.S. delegates will be notified of their selection by Monday, April 1, 2024 by their State Selection Coordinator. Selected delegates will receive an official invitation from the National Youth Science Camp by April 5, 2024, and will be expected to commit to attending the full NYSCamp and fill out delegate paperwork by April 15, 2024.
If you are selected as a delegate from your state, you must confirm your attendance and fill out camp paperwork by April 15, 2024 to ensure your spot is not given to an alternate.
Since selection to attend camp is a very competitive process with only two delegates guaranteed a spot from each state or nation, we expect NYSCamp delegates to fully participate in both the camp. We expect all delegates to be fully present 24/7 during the 3 weeks of in-person camp. The camp is located in the National Radio Quiet zone which means there is no mobile phone service. Please do not plan to take internships, online college classes, etc. during the NYSCamp as we are unable to provide the support needed to meet the deadlines of high-demand programs.
Delegates will also have the opportunity, if they desire, to propose, plan, and present their own seminar during the camp.