The National Youth Science Academy (NYSAcademy) plans to operate the National Youth Science Camp (NYSCamp) in 2023 as a hybrid camp. The program will be virtual from June 19 to June 23, 3023 with an in person portion of camp running from June 24 to July 12, 2023. All selected delegates will be required to attend the entire camp. If you are interested in attending NYSCamp as a delegate please learn more here.
Please submit a resume/CV, a headshot, and a cover letter with this NYSCamp Staph Application.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until all positions are filled. If you have any questions, please send an email to the NYSCamp Director, Brian Kinghorn.
The National Youth Science Academy strives to provide opportunities for people of all backgrounds, both in our programming and in our staff. Our staff help to foster community in daily life, and we aim to create a welcoming environment for everyone. Thus, underrepresented groups, such as women and BIPOC, are encouraged to apply.
- Assistant Director of Operations/Logistics
- Camp Nurse
- Camp Food Service Coordinator
- Office Manager
- Office Staph (Operations Assistant; Programming Assistant; Tech Assistant; Camp Store Manager; and Digital Media & Public Relations Coordinator)
- Audio/Visual Technician/Videographer
- Unit Leaders (3 female & 2 male)
- Outdoor Coordinator and Assistant(s)
- Recreation Coordinator and Assistant(s)
- Arts Coordinator and Assistant(s)
- Natural and Physical Science Coordinators
- Caving Coordinators
- Mountain Biking Coordinators
- Hiking Coordinators
- Kitchen Staph
- Virtual Staph
- NYSCamp Staph Application
- A Professional Style Headshot
- Cover Letter
- Criminal Background Check – This will be completed after you have been offered a position on staph, but your final hiring will be contingent upon a satisfactory report.
- COVID-19 Vaccination – All staph are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with at least one booster before staph can complete any work in person. Official documentation of vaccination status will be required to be submitted with hiring paperwork, but your final hiring will be contingent upon satisfactory evidence of vaccination
The base pay rate for in-person staph is $65 per day for in-person staph. This daily rate is increased by the sum of the following increments to recognize education, training, and experience working in NYSAcademy (formerly NYSFoundation) programs. Fully virtual staph will be paid at an hourly rate based upon a fraction of the daily rate calculated using the formula below:
- Education Increments (Single increase for highest attained):
- Undergraduate Student:
- Completed Freshman Year: Base Pay Rate
- Completed Sophomore Year: $2/day
- Completed Junior Year: $4/day
- Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent: $6/day
- Graduate Student: $8/day
- Master’s Degree or Equivalent: $10/day
- Doctorate: $15/day
- Undergraduate Student:
- Relevant Professional License/Certification:
- Current Teaching License: $3/day
- Registered Nurse: Variable
- Other: Variable
- Experience Increments:
- $1/day per year of NYSCamp Staph experience
- $0.50/day per year of WV GSMS Staph experience
- $0.50/day per year of WVYSCamp Staph experience
- Positional Increments:
- Additional increments may be assigned by the director to reflect program responsibilities.
If you have more than one degree at a particular level, you will be recognized at the next highest level. For example, if you have both a B.A. and an M.S. then you would receive the increment for having a Master’s Degree. Please note that increments are not cumulative.
Example: A staph member who has worked 3 years at NYSCamp and 2 years at GSMS, and who holds a bachelor’s degree and teaching certificate, would be paid $78/day, which includes the $65 base pay, plus $6 bachelor’s degree, plus $3 teaching license, plus $3 NYSCamp experience (3 X $1), and plus $1 GSMS experience (2 X $0.50).
* Staph is a traditional spelling for “Staff”; our enthusiasm and energy are infectious!